What is SpermCell™?
SpermCell™ – Smartphone Compatible Sperm Analysis Kit is a system for performing spermiogram analysis using a simple microscope system, smartphone camera and a special application. In this way, spermiogram analysis can be performed completely objectively without the need for a computer aided sperm analysis system (CASA). SpermCell™ has been introduced to the market as cheap and useful and has proven its reliability with performance evaluation.
Where can SpermCell™ be used ?
SpermCell™ – Smartphone Compatible Sperm Analysis Kit, especially designed for home use, it can only record video when there is no internet connection. Optionally, analysis can be performed later in an environment with an internet connection.In artificial insemination, which is frequently used in fattening livestock, veterinarians can use SpermCell™ – Smartphone Compatible Sperm Analysis Kit to learn the semen status before insemination and to check whether semen storage conditions are appropriate
Performance Evaluation of SpermCell™ ?
When used under appropriate conditions, the SpermCell™ gives fully compatible results. The situations where measurement cannot be made are stated in the user manual
- Sperm Concentration: This parameter specifies the number of sperm in 1 ml of the ejaculate.
- Total Motality Rate: This parameter gives the average rate of alive and motile sperm cells in total ejaculate.
- Motile Sperm Concentration: With this parameter, the number of motile sperm in 1 ml is indicated.
- Progressive Motile Sperm (Type A): It gives the percentage of the progressive motile sperm cells and the percentage of total motile sperm according to the classification in the laboratory manual, which is the fourth edition of the World Health Organization.
- Curvilinear Motile Sperm (Type B): Concentration of sperm with a tendency to move in a generally circular motion with low proggressive motility.
- Non-progresive Sperm (Type C): It gives the concentration and the percentage of the sperms that move on the spot, which does not perform circular and progressive motion.
- Non-motile Sperm (Type D): It gives the concentration and percentage of sperm that immotile, have no viability.
- Curvilinear Velocity (VCL): (µm/s). The speed of the sperm heads movement in the 2-dimensional real curvilinear pathway. It is a sign of cell viability.
- Straight Line Velocity (VSL): (µm/s). The mean speed of the sperm head from the first point to the last point
- Average Pathway Velocity (VAP): (µm/s). The mean speed of the sperm head on the road. This path is calculated by straightening the curvilinear path according to the algorithms.
- Progression (PROG): (µm). The value in μm as the result of sperm cell’s forward motion.
Can be usable Smartphone models and specifications
For untested phones, the camera must be capable of recording a minimum of 480×640 30 fps video.
Smartphones must have up-to-date operating systems installed.
It is necessary to use a 3G or higher connection in order to avoid problems caused by the internet connection.
If you want to download SpermCell™ brochure, please click here
- Zhang X, Khimji I, Gurkan UA, Safaee H, Catalano PN, Keles HO, Kayaalp E, Demirci U. Lensless imaging for simultaneous microfluidic sperm monitoring and sorting. Lab Chip. 2011 Aug 7;11(15):2535-40.
- WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen. Fifth edition. World Health Organisation; 2010. http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/infertility/9789241547789/en/index.html
- Pavithra Ranganathan, Lucas Moyett, David R. Nelson, Ashok Agarwal, Sperm Motion Kinetics – A New Perspective in Evaluating Infertility. The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. ASRM-01-783.
- Serefoglu EC. Semen Analizi ve Yorumlanması I: Bilgisayar Yardımlı Sperm Analizi. Türk Üroloji Seminerleri. 2011;2:8-10.