What is SpermCell™ ?
SpermCell™ is a system for spermiogram analysis using a simple microscope system, camera of smartphones and a special application. In this respect, spermyogram analysis can be performed objectively without the need of computer assisted sperm analysis system (CASA). SpermCell™ is presented to the market cheaply and conveniently, and proved its reliability with performance evaluation.
How does SpermCell™ work?
Approximately 10 μl of the sample, which is called a slide, is dropped onto the piece to be used for the microscope slide, and the lens housing is closed accordingly. Then place it in the box slot and run the application on the smart phone and place it on the sample to get the best image. The obtained 10 seconds video is sent to the server and there is a specially prepared algorithm and the video is analyzed and sent to the phone within 2-5 minutes depending on the internet speed.
Where can SpermCell™ be used ?
Veterinarians can use SpermCell™ for the purpose of learning the semen state before insemination and for checking whether semen storage conditions are suitable for artificial insemination, which is frequently used in fattening livestock.
Performance Evaluation of SpermCell™ ?
SpermCell™ is compared with all analysis systems in the design phase. Conditions in which SpermCell™, which, when used in appropriate circumstances, produces fully compatible results, can not be measured are described in the user manual.
- Sperm Concentration: This parameter specifies the number of sperm in 1 ml of the ejaculate.
- Total Motality Rate: This parameter gives the average rate of alive and motile sperm cells in total ejaculate.
- Motile Sperm Concentration: With this parameter, the number of motile sperm in 1 ml is indicated.
- Proggresive Motile Sperm (Type A): It gives the percentage of the proggressive motile sperm cells and the percentage of total motile sperm according to the classification in the laboratory manual, which is the fourth edition of the World Health Organization.
- Curvilinear Motile Sperm (Type B): Concentration of sperm with a tendency to move in a generally circular motion with low proggressive motility.
- Non-proggresive Sperm (Type C): It gives the concentration and the percentage of the sperms that move on the spot, which does not perform circular and progressive motion.
- Non-motile Sperm (Type D): It gives the concentration and percentage of sperm that immotile, have no viability.
- Curvilinear Velocity (VCL): (µm/s). The speed of the sperm heads movement in the 2-dimensional real curvilinear pathway. It is a sign of cell viability.
- Straight Line Velocity (VSL): (µm/s). The mean speed of the sperm head from the first point to the last point
- Average Pathway Velocity (VAP): (µm/s). The mean speed of the sperm head on the road. This path is calculated by straightening the curvilinear path according to the algorithms.
- Proggression (PROG): (µm). The value in μm as the result of sperm cell’s forward motion.
Can be usable Smartphone models and specifications
Apple: 5S, 6, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus
Samsung: Grand Prime Plus, A3, J5, J5 Pro, S4, S5, S6, S7.
(*It can not be used as software in the “Note” series of Samsung smartphones.)
On untested phones, especially the camera must be able to record at least 480×640 30 fps video.
Smartphones should be updated in the current operating systems.
In order to avoid problems caused by Internet connection, it is necessary to use a connection over 3G.
If you want to download SpermCell™ brochure, please click here
- Zhang X, Khimji I, Gurkan UA, Safaee H, Catalano PN, Keles HO, Kayaalp E, Demirci U. Lensless imaging for simultaneous microfluidic sperm monitoring and sorting. Lab Chip. 2011 Aug 7;11(15):2535-40.
- WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen. Fifth edition. World Health Organisation; 2010. http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/infertility/9789241547789/en/index.html
- Pavithra Ranganathan, Lucas Moyett, David R. Nelson, Ashok Agarwal, Sperm Motion Kinetics – A New Perspective in Evaluating Infertility. The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. ASRM-01-783.
- Serefoglu EC. Semen Analizi ve Yorumlanması I: Bilgisayar Yardımlı Sperm Analizi. Türk Üroloji Seminerleri. 2011;2:8-10.